Thursday, May 31, 2012

May 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge

SewCalGal is hosting the 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge and I have taken the pledge!  Every month, there is a new tutorial and a chance to learn something new, improve free motion quilting skills, complete that month's challenge and enter to win awesome prizes.  This month's tutorial is written by Leah Day!

Leah Day was actually one of the first people I found online when I decided I wanted to learn more about free motion quilting.  I immediately fell in love with her 365 project, quilting 365 designs in 365 days!  Amazing!!  Much of my free motion practice and learning has been through watching and following Leah Day and her tuturials.  If you haven't seen them before, you should definately take the time to go check them out! 

This month for the 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge, Leah talked a lot about the basics of free motion quilting, from setting up your machine to using the right tools, and practice, practice, practice!  The challenge was to complete two foundational designs in free motion. 

The first design is a double stippling, which is were you create a large wavy line of stippling and then go back along that line with a smaller wavy line of stippling. The first line becomes the "foundational" line.

Here is my double stippling sample:


It's not perfect, but I have to admit that I probably rushed through it more than I should of.  When I'm working on a quilting an actual quilt, I really have to tell myself..."slow and steady, slow and steady...take your time".  But on a smaller 6"x6" square it's harder not to just whip through it.

Also, I realize now that I'm looking at this picture, that my second line of stippling could have been bigger to fill the space more evenly.  Good lesson for next time!

The second design is another foundational design where we created the same large wavy line of stippling but this time went back along that line with a smaller straight edged line of stippling to create a railroad track look.

Here is my railroad track sample:


I felt that this one went much smoother that the first one.  I'm not sure if it's because I find it easier to stitch a straight line or if it's just because I worked out all the rush in the first sample and was able to slow down more in this one.

Either way, I guess the reminders for me in doing this challenge are to practice more, slow down, and probably do some practice stitching to get myself into the motions before starting on the actual quilt.

Thanks Leah for the great tutorials this month!!!

 I'm linking up with SewCalGal!

1 comment:

  1. You are doing great. When I first started FMQ last year I found the straight line designs, with angles instead of curves, to be much easier. Now I find the opposite is true for me. : )

    ReplyDelete